Our farm is called Glebe Farm. We farm 90 acres of organic mixed livestock and arable land. Also, in summer our animals graze on 40 acres of lush pasture on the Somerset Levels. It has been farmed by the Walrond family for over 200 years with three generations involved on the farm today. We converted the farm to organic production in 1999 and have been farming organically ever since. We are licensed growers and processors with the Soil Association.
We are a small farm and therefore can take greater care in what we produce and how we produce it.
The farm runs a small outdoor herd of Saddleback sows, a flock of Mule ewes which run with Dorset Down rams, native breeds of beef cattle and free-range laying hens. We use local breeds as they are more suited to this part of the world and their meat has great flavour. We grow a wide range (around 70 varieties during the year) of organic vegetables.
We are proud to farm organically, working in harmony with nature to ensure that we bring you the tastiest and healthiest produce we can in the most sustainable way possible.
Our aim is to produce and sell good quality organic, local food. The vast majority of the products we sell originate from Somerset. Vegetables are sold in season and are either grown on our own farm or bought in from local organic farms where possible.
Our animals are treated with care and respect (Compassion in World Farming recognized the Soil Association as the “Gold Standard” for animal welfare) and are slaughtered locally.
Our home-reared range of organic meat, eggs and vegetables includes:
- Free range organic eggs
- Organic pork
- Organic beef
- Organic lamb
- Home made sausages (including a gluten-free range) and burgers
- Dry cured organic bacon and hams
- Seasonal fresh organic vegetables picked daily to supply the shop
- Home made cakes
- Italian style dry cured meats
Our extensive range of food and drink products from other local producers includes:
- Succulent free-range chicken from the Cracknells Farm, nr. Langport.
- Mendip Moments delicious ice cream and sorbet produced just outside of Wells, Somerset.
- We stock apple juice, cider, Somerset Cider Brandy, Kingston Black and Somerset Pomona aperitifs from Burrow Hill at Kingsbury Episcopi. We sell a wide range of award-winning superb beers from The Moor Beer Company (originating in the village of Long Sutton) and sensational Smith & Evans wine & sparkling wine from the nearby vineyard in Aller. Smith & Evans have just won a Bronze Award in the International Wine Challenge for their 2010 Sparkling Wine which we are currently stocking.
- Exquisite Gilbert & Swayne handmade chocolates from Baltonsborough.
- Somerset cheeses and farmhouse butter including Keen’s, Maryland, Godminster and Somerset Brie. From the wider West Country we stock Dorset Blue Vinny, Sharpham Rustic, Vulscombe goats cheese and Cornish Yarg.
- Apples, pears and soft fruit in season, chiefly supplied by Charlton Orchards, near Taunton.
- Jams, preserves and pickles from Rose Farm in Wedmore and Somerset Garden at The Times in Curry Rivel.
- Beautiful organic flour milled at Burcott Mill near Wells, Somerset. We also stock Spelt flour grown at Sharpham Park near Glastonbury and also milled at Burcott Mill.
- On Saturday mornings delicious bread from Wrefords bakery on the A303 is delivered to the farm shop.
Organic farming is a system that uses nature’s processes to keep the soil fertile and control pests, which means we don’t use synthetic chemicals which can be harmful to wildlife and harmful to people.
We are committed to sourcing locally, reducing food miles and supporting local crafts people and the local economy. Come by foot, bike or on horseback and you’ll receive a 5% discount!
We make sure that everything used in the shop and our production kitchen is recycled where it can be and we keep packaging to a minimum.
With the exception during the months of March to June for carrots and onions (when there is no British source for these staple vegetables) we do not sell vegetables that are grown abroad if they can be grown in this country. All vegetables sold in the shop are, therefore, seasonal and taste better for it!
We sell organic fruit that cannot be grown in Britain such as kiwis, lemons and clementines, these are imported from Spain and Italy.
We stock a wide range of Fairly Traded goods. Although these are produced in other countries, they are from small producers who are encouraged to work closely with the land to limit environmental impact, many of whom are organic producers.